side and one is on my Father's side. What I find hard to believe is how different they look and act. When I hear that age is just a number I am beginning to believe it!
Cousin number one I have never met personally. In pictures she appears to be sort of a frail, grey haired lady that looks like what I think an older woman should look like. When I talk with here on the phone her voice is noticeably older. She dresses in plain clothes, like skirts and blouses, in pictures she sends me. Much of her conversations center around the past.
Cousin number two, to me, does not look her age. She has a few wrinkles on her face and grey in her hair but moves around pretty much like a younger woman. Her voice is strong when she speaks on the phone. She has a good sense of humor and makes me laugh. Lately she has had a lot of medical problems and is now wearing hearing aids and has problems seeing. She was a military wife and traveled extensively.
Cousin number three is often mistaken for a woman in her sixties. Even though she is around ten years older than me, I think she looks younger than I do. Her hair is short and dark because she makes sure to never let any white sneak on to her head. She has faint wrinkles around her eyes and dresses in modern clothing. She looks and acts healthy and often tells me she goes to the rec center for exercise. When she walks she is spry and is quite aware of the world around her.
Genetics may play a part in how people who are the same age can look so different. What causes some to look older or act older while others retain a youthful look and act younger? Two of my cousins lost a parent who lived to around ninety years old. One had a mother who lived to 102 years old. Could it be their life style? One good thing is that all three have good memories and have helped me while I worked on my genealogy.
The pictures used in this blog are about five years old when they were turning eighty.
"There are many advantages in being fifty.
Ask any eighty year old."
Author unknown.
No comments:
Post a Comment