
I have never been to England. I have eaten Mexican, Greek, Nigerian, Irish, Spanish, Italian, French, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and German food but I had never eaten English food. When a friend of mine suggested going to an English restaurant in our area I thought it was a great idea. The restaurant is near the Rocky Mountain Metro Airport in Jefferson County. The first sign before turning into the driveway was an ad for Authentic British Meals.
We parked the car and since she had been at the restaurant before she

pointed out the Inn Rooms where travelers can spend the night and led the way to the entrance of Wild Flowers dining room. "There is also a Pub on the other side of the dining room," she said. I took one look into the Pub and liked its coziness. We settled ourselves on the high chairs at the tall tables and the friendly waiter handed us a menu and explained some of the food offered. I was disappointed that the staff did not have British accents.


Items on the menu had odd sounding names but I was told, both by my friend and the waiter, how everything was tasty and delicious! Bubble & Squeak (corn beef and cabbage); Bangers & Mash (sausage and pureed potatoes) were two of the odd names for certain dishes. I ordered a Reuben sandwich but got confused and ordered "chips" and got french fries instead of the "crisps" which would have been more like a potato chip. When I reached for the Ketchup bottle the waiter said, "Oh, no, no, no.....here put this malt vinegar on the potatoes, much better than ketchup!" I did and thoroughly enjoyed the jaw tightening taste of potatoes with malt vinegar. My friend ordered the Shepherd's Pie of ground lamb, onions and mashed potatoes.


The Pub had a lone Great Britain flag, bar offerings on a blackboard, and many bottles of booze lined up in a row. The water "carafe" was a bottle with The Burns Pub etched on its side. There is a patio where people can dine outside. We were told that the dining room would soon become an event center and no longer be a regular restaurant.
I keep getting surprised at all that Arvada and its surrounding areas have to offer. After eating we drove to the airport and looked at all the small planes, which I thought looked too fragile to be flying. There is a Mediterranean restaurant at the airport and my friend and I will need to go see what
that restaurant is all about!
Since I could only eat half of my sandwich, I brought the other half home and now my car smells like malt vinegar! Finding different places to eat is fun and filling though not good for the waistline!
"Food has replaced sex in my life,
now I can't even get into my own pants."
Lynda Montgomery
Love the article and ending quote!! Funny and true!
ReplyDeleteI liked that quote because it made me laugh. Thanks for liking my blog!
ReplyDelete