
Yesterday, a large Peruvian flag covered the back of a booth at the Arvada Harvest Festival. I was drawn to the red and white flag because I had been married to a Peruvian and anything Peruvian I found interesting. Aside from colorful clothing for sale and wooden artifacts there was a tray with white cookies sprinkled with powder sugar. The man at the booth said, "Please try one, these are cookies from Peru called Alfajores." I tried

one and it was a tasty short bread type cookie filled with some kind of jelly. I later learned that some cookies are filled with dulce de leche, a mixture of condensed milk, sugar, baking soda and vanilla. I found out that in Denver there is a store where Peruvian cakes,
cookies and goodies can be purchased. The name of the bakery is called Alzucar Bakery. I knew I would have to visit
the bakery sometime in the near future to see what other kinds of sweet things could be purchased.
The man at the booth handed me two tiny figures made with yarn.

The colorful yarn on the small figures reminded me of my trip to Peru and how I would see indigenous woman working in the fields in their bright colored clothing. Some would be watching llamas. Very similar as shepherds watch over their sheep except that in Peru they watching over goats, alpacas or llamas. A favorite object women like to wear is a man's fedora.
Yesterday, at the parade I saw women dressed in what looked like Mexican dresses but the music being played was not Mexican. When they neared I saw that they were Peruvian dancers. Strange that something can be so similar, yet so different!
No comments:
Post a Comment