Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Giant Head

A few years ago, I traveled to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park. One of the many memories of that trip was a giant head of Abraham Lincoln. I do not remember where it was and on asking a few persons, no one seems to ever have seen it. Yesterday I spoke to a person from South Dakota and she had never seen or heard of the giant head!

When I saw the gigantic head in the past, I thought it was pretty impressive. I went to the Internet to see what would come up. Sure enough, I found information on the giant head of Abraham Lincoln. It is on I-80 between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming. It is eleven miles east of Laramie and twenty miles west of Cheyenne. I found out the the statue was sculpted by Robert Russin to commemorate Lincoln's 150th birthday. It was moved to the present location in 1969.  The head weighs over two tons, is 13.5 tall and sits on top of a 30 foot stone base. The base is made of granite and looks like many large bricks.

I also remember that not too far from the statue, there is an area that looks like where a western movie might have been shot; huge boulders, bushes growing in rocks, and places where outlaws could hide. It makes me happy that I did not dream this huge statue and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. After all, it isn't that far away.


No comments:

Post a Comment