When I began attending functions at SOC, I noticed there seemed to be a genuine interest in accepting me in the community. I noticed that the Young at Heart group had people from other parishes like Holy Trinity in Westminster; Shrine of St. Anne and St Joan of Arc of Arvada; Holy Family in Denver; Immaculate Heart of Mary in Northglenn; and a few persons from Broomfield. There are many programs to appeal to the many persons from the different parishes. How wonderful that all are accepted into the religious and social functioning of SOC.
This morning I happened to be in the office of SOC and saw a group from a Small Church Community headed to the mountains on a picnic. I met another person who was attending a meeting at the church. Two women were headed to Ft. Logan to visit the cemetery where their husbands had been laid to rest. A woman mentioned that she and another friend would be going to see Saturday Night Fever at the Arvada Center. One lady told me she was babysitting for her daughter's horses and another was taking care of grandchildren. A man told me he had traveled most of the summer. Many were in the process of leaving daily mass and we waved at each other. What a wonderful feeling to see so many parishioners busy and doing wonderful activities with other members of the church. In a matter of minutes, I spoke to many persons. It felt good to know people in my parish. I had belonged to other parishes and never had I felt so welcome or seen friendships grow as I see at Spirit of Christ.
To know that I belonged to a busy, productive and caring community made me feel good. Some of our talk centered on the missing hiker who had been found. He was a member of the church and many persons would attend his funeral whether they knew him or not. People would attend the funeral to support the family and to give him a blessed send off to his Father in heaven.
I feel very fortunate belonging to this parish and know that I am not the only one who feels this way. Spirit of Christ Catholic Community appeals to many; children, young girls and boys, young adults, middle-aged persons and the older group. A wonderful parish helping many of us move closer to God!
"When you suffer, you are being conformed to the image of Jesus.
When you pray, you are made holy in the image of Jesus.
When you quietly serve a person in need, you are being shaped into the image of Jesus.
When you generously give, your heart is being remade into the image of Jesus,
Our Lord and Savior."
Allen R. Hunt Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor:
How I discovered the Hidden Treasures of the Catholic Church.

No comments:
Post a Comment