There is a huge shopping center in Westminster by the name of Orchard Town Center. There are sixty-five stores, twelve restaurants and several entertainment places. I saw apartment buildings and condominiums in the area. Yet, the strangest thing I saw was an old barn on my way to the mall. Driving up Huron Street I saw the barn on the right side of the street. It looked out of place as I neared the modern shopping center. I wondered what the barn had been, why was it still standing, and felt a pang of nostalgia as I saw the old building. I had to make two U turns to get on to the dirt driveway and felt as if I was in some sort of painting.
It was as if I had left the modern world and entered into the past. The barn is surrounded by tall weeds and a few grasshoppers jumped around as I took the pictures.
I contacted the Westminster Zoning office and left a message asking for information about the old barn but no one returned my call. I guess I will never know the background of this neat looking barn!
September 16, 2015: I received a call from Patrick who told me the property had belonged to the Foney (not sure of spelling) Family and they sold it about ten years ago. Developers have said that they will keep the barn and use it in some way. The barn is unique because wooden pegs were used instead of nails. The farm was agricultural, with some animals, and irrigation water came from McKay Lake in Broomfield.
You will just have to make up your own story to go with it!
ReplyDeleteYes, I could write something about this barn, but I would really like to know the story behind this old barn! I thought about showing a picture of a modern, vibrant farm with a neat barn and saying how when we are new we are useful but when we are old we are neglected.....or something like that.
ReplyDelete