The weekend after Labor Day, Arvada celebrates its Harvest Festival. The Festival began in 1925 in the farming community of Arvada to commemorate the first paved highway from Denver to Arvada. I began attending, though not every year, around 1967 when my children were old enough to appreciate a parade!
For the past few years, because I love parades, I have taken my canvas chair, an umbrella for shade from the hot sun, a bottle of water and sat on the sidelines to enjoy the marching bands, the clowns, antique cars, the floats, school kids and the horses. This year many tractors with huge wheels rumbled past the viewers. Seeing veterans and our flag always makes a lump form in my throat. Candy throwers are a big success with the children and those kids can gather lots of candy to take home. I pity parents and the dental bills
I felt bad when the battery in my camera died and I was unable to get pictures of the Westernaires and their horses, Mexican dancers and the beautiful Paso Doble dancing horses.
A moment of depression came over me when candy was being passed out to the children and a young man handed me a piece of candy with, "Here granny, this one's for you!" I certainly do not see myself as others see me!
A fun day at "a little bit for everyone" parade.
I packed up my gear as the band marched off into the distance!
No comments:
Post a Comment