Monday, December 25, 2017

2017 Christmas Eve

For the past five years I have gone to California to be with my family for Christmas. This year I did not go and planned to stay at home and Skype with my out-of-state family. I would watch them open their gifts and it would be almost like being there with them. Well, almost.

A friend invited me to spend Christmas Eve with her family and what a wonderful time I had at her daughter's beautiful home. The home was decorated with a huge tree and there were many gifts underneath the tree.








The large kitchen island was filled with whatever munchies one desired. Stuffed celery, guacamole dip, shrimp, lobster rolls, cut up veggies, chestnuts, Lupini beans, fried bread with honey; similar to a sopapilla and these were just the snacks before dinner! I ate a Chestnut for the first time, a very meaty nut! I thought, so this is what is roasting on an open fire in The Christmas Carol.

Conversations and wine, pop and water flowed before the main dishes came out of the oven! Lots of pasta dishes, salmon, salad, potatoes, garlic bread, and sauces. Three large tables were set up in the dining area and we went through the "buffet" line and found a place to sit at the tables. We ate the delicious food and enjoyed fun conversations until the desserts of petite fours, pumpkin pie, and every type of candy and cookie imaginable were served. I knew that any will power I may have had  disappeared along with the goodies going into my mouth!

As the persons at the table near the Christmas tree finished eating, the table was folded up and put away to make room for the opening of the gifts. Everyone gathered around as the presents were handed out and exclamations of gratitude rang out. I even got three gifts and I couldn't help but think how thoughtful the family was by not only inviting me to spend time with them but of buying me some presents.


May Baby Jesus bless this generous family who helped me enjoy my Christmas Eve without my family. Thanks to them for making me feel right at home and welcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment