Sunday, December 3, 2017

The Kindness of Strangers

While walking to my car from the Denver Art Museum, I could see the many sparkling floats in front of the City and County Building. Those were the floats used in the Parade of Lights on Friday night and were ready and waiting for the Saturday's parade. I approached the two persons standing behind barricades and asked, "Could I come in and see the display at the City and County Building?"

"No, we are sorry, but no one can go beyond this barricade."
"Oh, that's too bad, I just wanted to see if the Nativity Scene had been put up since I have heard some people want to take it down."
"It's up and so is the Menorah."
"That's good."
"Are you from out of state?"
"No, I am a Colorado native."
"I noticed your Regis cap, and thought you might be a tourist."
"No, I went to school there. At that time it was not coed and women had to go in the evening to classes and during the day I worked in this building."
The lady said, "I worked here for thirty-three years. When did you work here?"
"A long time ago, probably before you did."
"I am sixty-six."
"I am twelve years older."
"What! There is no way. Look at you, the way you came prancing up here, you look and walk like a young woman."
"No, I am old but thankfully I can still move around!" I thanked them and started to walk away.
 The man said, "You know what, I can take you to see the display in front of the building, come on, I will give you a tour."
The lady said, "As long as there are two of us, one of us can stay."

I again thanked them and told them they were very kind as he moved the barricade and let me step through. My next comment was, "Oh, look, there is Santa Claus." He looked around and said, "Where?" I pointed to the top of the building where Santa and his sleigh could be seen." He laughed and said, "For awhile there I thought you were seeing things!" He said he had never noticed Santa up so high and I thought he probably thought I was on drugs!



I took a picture of the manger which my guide told me had to be protected with glass because there were so may bad persons who would like to destroy it. This is probably the only picture with our gold-domed capitol in the midst of Baby Jesus' birth!  I thanked the man and he said, "Come on, I will take you down the aisle so you can see all the floats




Of course, even though the floats sparkled they were not as pretty as they would be at night with all the twinkling lights.

The last float was a manger scene without Mary and Joseph. He said, "Hey, we should call Social Services that the parents have neglected the baby. I am sure there is some abuse there."

My comment was, "I think we should take the baby and leave it at a fire station."

Other comments were made, we laughed and I thanked them for being so kind in allowing me to see the floats. They could have been grumpy because they told me they had been working twelve hour days during the Parade of Lights. I noticed other persons asking to come behind the barricades and they were not allowed. I felt privileged that I had been able to go beyond the barricades! I am sorry I did not get the worker's names but I did get their picture!

"A perfect day
when two strangers
made my day!"
E. Moscoso


2 comments: