Thursday, December 21, 2017

Into The Kitchen I Go

Today I will attempt to make a cookie that I enjoyed at a cookie exchange. Not only did the taste fascinate me, but it sounded like an easy sweet to make. It is the kind of treat that has a salty and sweet taste at the same time. Very much like the pretzel and chocolate goody I fell in love with last year though this recipe calls for saltine crackers.

First I had to find out the difference between a jelly roll pan and a cookie sheet because all my life I thought they were the same. The jelly roll pan has a rim around it while the cookie sheet does not. I have both in my pots and pans shelf so my next step is to get the ingredients ready.

I asked the lady that had brought the "bark" (that is what someone called it) to the exchange for the recipe and she  told me how she made the delicious pieces of bark but by the time I got home, I wasn't quite sure on the measurements and remembered her final words: "Look on the  Internet under Tricia Yearwood  Recipes." Sure enough, there were three or four recipes with the name of Sweet and Saltines by Trisha Yearwood.

Here is the recipe if anyone wants to make this delicious treat!









Ingredients
  • Cooking spray
  • 35 to 40 saltine crackers
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (about 1⅓ cups)

Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Line 1 large or 2 small jelly-roll pans with aluminum foil, spray with nonstick spray and arrange the saltines salt-side down in a single layer. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and boil until it turns a caramel color, a few minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly.
  3. Put the jelly-roll pan into the oven and bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly, watching carefully. Remove from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife.
  4. Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces. Store in an airtight container.

Recipe by Recipe Diaries at http://www.recipe-diaries.com/2014/06/15/trisha-yearwoods-sweet-and-saltines/

No comments:

Post a Comment