I got into the car and backed up but when I heard a loud crash, I hit the brakes. Unbeknownst to me, the garage door had come down. How could that be, I thought, and why did I not look at my screen on the car when I backed up? I got out and surveyed the damage. Two rollers had come out of the track and the door was a bit bent. I decided to get a ladder and try to put the rollers back where they belonged as I prayed that I could fix the problem. After all, how much damage could have been done?
There was no way I could repair my garage door no matter how much I pulled and pushed. I looked in the Yellow Pages, a book I have not used in over fifteen years, and found the Arvada Garage Door, Inc. The last time I had called for help with my garage door had been over twenty years ago. At that time a father and son repaired what ever was wrong and they had done a great job but I did not have their number any more. A man answered and told me they were out on calls and would probably not make it out today but if they could they would call me. I gave him my number and hoped they would
be able to come out today.
Leaving my garage door open, I left to do some errands with the hope that no one would get into my garage. Not that there is anything of value, but I'd hate to have someone snooping in my garage.
As I was leaving the post office, my phone rang and the garage door person informed me that they would be to my house in about thirty minutes. I hurried home and before long my doorbell rang. There stood the two fellows that had repaired my garage door years before. "Hey, I am glad it is you two again, father and son, right?" I said. They nodded and told me they were not sure if the garage door could be repaired and that a new door would be about $750 and up. "We will look and see what can be done."
The father is about six feet four inches tall, carries an oxygen tank, and he told me he doesn't do much of the work but let's his son do the work. The son surveyed the problem and together they came up with a solution that if it worked I would have my garage door working, but if not, it would be pricey.
In a matter of a few minutes, the son had put the rollers back after pulling the metal apart. He screwed a metal that was flapping, together they straightened the bottom of the door, he oiled the runners, and did a few practice runs and the door went up and down. While the son worked, the father and I talked and he told me about how he hates getting old, his many health problems, and how he and his son have had the company for about thirty years. He made me feel better when he said, "You are one of many who has backed up into a closed garage door. I bet we do two a week!"
When he told me it would cost me $85 I was shocked and thrilled. I had $65 cash and told him I would write him a check for the remainder. "No, give me the cash and you can owe me the rest." I insisted I could write him a check and he said the $65 would do. I could not hold back my tears, because whenever I have called for work to be done around the house I feel as if I am being taken advantage of because I am a woman and because of my age. As I thanked them, the son asked me about the garage opener on the wall and I told him I only used the automatic opener because it had been over twenty years that I had used the one on the wall. "Let's see what we can do about that," he said. The father was already headed for the truck and brought a 12V battery. These two men seem to know what the other one is thinking. Once the battery was replaced my garage door could now be opened and closed two ways. I got the impression that they just wanted to help and was thankful they were so kind.
As they left I kept thanking them and the Dad said, "Well, you can bake me a chocolate cake and that will take care of everything." I really believe that these were two angels who believe in honesty and helping people. God bless them and if anyone needs help with a garage door contact Art Jensen at Arvada Garage Door, Inc at 303-424-6349.
They are both named Art and they told me someone had coined the saying that the father is Classic Art and the son is Modern Art!
"Kindness is a language
which the deaf can hear
and the blind can see."
Mark Twain
And I would add,
and the old appreciate.
Once in a while someone (or someones) comes along that really affirms your faith that kindness does exist. Are you baking that cake!?
ReplyDeleteI may buy it....haven't decided whether I will bake or buy!
ReplyDelete