I know that photographs are not allowed in certain areas of the museum so my camera came out at the elevators where some of the work had been copied on the doors. I thought the elevator paintings were great but soon I would see the original works! With a sticker on my chest to prove I had paid to enter the exhibition, I entered the hall to see wall to wall pictures of France. I had never heard of the artists on display: Marie Bracquemond, Berthe Morisot, Mary Cassatt , Rosa Bonhaur, Anna Ancher, or Paula Modersohn Becker. I did enjoy looking at their work and noticed there seemed to be a lot of self portraits.
In one of the explanations of a painting: "barriers remained that limited their opportunities for exhibition and access to education, both crucial to artists who aspired to greatness." As I looked at the many paintings by women, I wondered how great these women would have been in more modern times. As it was, their paintings were beautiful and outstanding!
"The question isn't
who is going to let me; it's
who is going to stop me!"
Unknown
I have read several books about Berthe Morisot and Mary Cassatt, but not familiar with the others. The Impressionists are my favorite painters
ReplyDelete