I found myself laughing out loud, crying in other parts, and wanting to get into the pages to change some of the things that happen to the young girl and her family. Before long, I was right along side the character's; suffering, enjoying, laughing, and being curious. The author writes in an easy manner and hooks the reader so that you don't want to put the book down! What will happen next, is a question I had, after each chapter.
In the inside cover of the book I found out that The book was published in 1943, translated into fifteen different languages, sold over a million copies and is considered a classic. Francine, Neeley, Kate, Johhny and Sissy and Evey interact with store owners, junk dealers, politicians, bar tenders, lovers, school mates, spouses and teachers. You hate some and you love others, as you watch the young girl grow up. Times were tough in the 1900's yet the reader wants the young girl to succeed in life.
What a wonderful story that others have read yet I had never heard of until I was assigned to lead the discussion of the book in my book club. It should be interesting to hear what others think of the book.
"From that time on,
the world was hers
for the reading.
She would never be
lonely again,
never miss the lack of
intimate friends.
Books became
her friends and there
was one for every mood."
Betty Smith
Love the quote by Betty Smith. I agree!! I have never read this either, despite it being a well known classic. Looking forwared to it!
ReplyDeleteI have ordered the video and will see how it compares to the book.
ReplyDelete