
Have you ever seen a tree draped in a crocheted cover? I happened to be around 20th and Broadway in downtown Denver and I saw a tree in many different colors. From where I stood, I could not tell if the cover had been painted or if it had been knitted or crocheted. I walked closer and to my surprise someone had covered the trunk of the tree with colorful yarn squares.
I had never seen such art work and when I got home I looked up, "Yarn covered trees." Wikipedia mentions that
"the practice began in Texas when knitters
needed a creative use for left over yarn and now the practice of
covering trees is world wide. "

An artist in Seattle, Washington got tired of looking at grey-brown trees and decided to cover them with knit/crochet squares. There is a book written by Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain called
Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti. I also found pictures of the trees in Pinterest and in Blogs.

The art form is know as Guerrilla Art or Yarn Bombing. Some of the images on the Internet show parking meters, small cars, buses, and fire hydrants wrapped in the colorful knits. Look at
lauriejess.blogspot.com for other Yarn Bombing pictures. I have borrowed two from her blog for my blog.
Okay, so my Denver tree was not an original but for me it was for I had never seen such beautiful tree art.
No comments:
Post a Comment