Thursday, May 28, 2015

Such A Nice Man

 A few years ago I met man who was celebrating his 90th birthday. Even though he sat in a wheel chair, he was friendly and smiled a lot.  After that meeting, whenever I saw him we always greeted each other. He attended the same mass I did and he always sat in the same spot. As I would walk by, we'd make eye contact, and a big smile would cross his face. His hand would raise and I would grab it and lean in close and ask, "How are you doing?" His response was always the same. "I am fine."

For the past two weeks he had not been at mass and I missed him. Then, I heard that he had passed away. His funeral mass was yesterday and I felt as if my buddy had passed on. Strange how someone I did not know very well, once gone, is missed.

Today I learned about his background. He had been a teacher, a principal, and served in the Navy. His life,  according to his grandson, was loving his family, his friends, and his country. A sentence in the obituary notice, "because every life has a story," made me think how little we know of people who are our acquaintances.We may know them in this day and age but yet we do not know their past. I would be willing to bet that everyone has an interesting story.

His son and his grandson spoke about their Dad and Grandfather. I found out  that he was the Principal at Ranum High School and Westminster High School for thirty-five years  He was in the military and served in the Navy. He married his wife over 71 years ago, had two children and four grandchildren. The obituary had comments from former students from Texas, Arizona, Nebraska, Colorado, Iowa, and Nevada. They praised his fairness and his sense of humor. What I remember is his being a sweet, friendly and kind man.

At the funeral mass, the priest said that we were not celebrating a death, but a life. Christ died for us to give us eternal life and even though it is difficult to understand, it gives one a good feeling that life is just beginning
when we die. As I walked out of the church, the coffin draped in the United States of American flag brought tears to my eyes.

The reception proved he had many friends that belong to the Young At Heart group of Spirit of Christ Catholic Community. A luncheon was prepared by the Touch Committee and internment followed with military honors at Ft. Logan National Cemetery.

The day was mixed with sadness and joy.  Bouquets of flowers were interspersed with mementos of his life.

Rest in Peace
 Frederick John Jerigese
October 17,1923 -May 18, 2015


1 comment: