I am not a lover of small dogs. I do not like their sharp yelps. It seems that they are always underfoot. Yesterday, I visited a family and saw three of the Chihuahuas running around, jumping up on the couch, or just staring at me with those dark eyes. How can one not love the tiny dog who enjoys being petted and seems to listen to everything that is said. It seems that the small dog would be a good companion. Possibly a good watch dog because they yelp as someone comes to the door. And they certainly do not take up too much space. In the past, my family had large dogs and cleaning up their waste, almost as big as a chihuahua, is a chore, but I figure the tiny dogs can't leave too much behind!


On the Internet I found out that Chihuahua dogs are named for a state in Mexico and is the oldest breed in the Americas. My father's family came from Chihuahua so maybe I should have some attraction to the small dog! They may have originated and evolved from a wild dog during Aztec times and it is the smallest known breed. There are long haired or smooth haired dogs and can come in any color. They have a long life span and may live to seventeen years. The long haired dog goes by the name of Goldie but I did not learn the names of the other dogs scampering around.
Even though I got used to the tiny dogs at my friend's home, I do not believe I would like having a Chihuahua as a pet for me. Yet, if I had to pick between a cat and a dog, I lean toward the small dog!
"I love pets and I love animals,
and I just got a new puppy, a
new rescue named Peanut. She's
a tiny little Chihuahua mix."
Carrie Ann Inaba
No comments:
Post a Comment