Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Are 7's Lucky Numbers

On slot machines 777 will win some money. Today I am 77 and I wonder if this will be a good year for me. I remember my father telling me that even though he was 90 years old his emotions and feelings were still around 20 years old. I truly understand his statement today. I do not feel my age. I don't feel any different than I did when I was in my 30's. The problem is that my body is 77 and therefore cannot move as it used to move!

Breaking an ankle slowed me down. Going up and down stairs is more difficult. Getting in and out of the car is done in a slower manner. After sitting for a long time, it takes a while to get the joints moving and warmed up. Sometimes there are aches and pains. My mind does not seem to be affected until I try to remember something like a name, where I put something or why I entered a room. Eye glasses are a necessity and sometimes I need to use a magnifying glass to see tiny print. The day I lost a tooth I knew "nothing lasts forever."

I hate to admit I cannot do things like I used to and when our church offered to have volunteers come help with my yard work, I signed up. As I was signing up I saw persons also signing up but they were signing up to work in yards and not asking for help. Those persons I saw signing up were more frail than I am, were older, and looked in worse condition than I am. I canceled my request because if they could volunteer to work in someone's yard, then I certainly could get out and work in  my own yard!

Being reminded of my age comes from places I would never even think about. When I saw my grocery bill  the total surprised me. $77.71 could have been a hint to make me think of my age. Is that odd or what?

When I think of the alternative, adding another year is not bad. I thank God every day for all that I have and I pray to keep going even with my aches and pains, some memory loss, an occasional limp, and being slower in all that I do. I am grateful I am still here to enjoy my life with family and friends. Most of all, today  I am happy to be celebrating another birthday.
 
"How old would you be
if you didn't know how
old you are?"
Satchel Paige

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, sure and you did tell me you lost your glasses, didn't you? I like the saying that "the further away you are, the better I look!"

    ReplyDelete