Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Rabbit Habit

What I thought was unusual, I was told by a friend that it is very common in her neighborhood. The only place I have seen rabbits running wild is at the zoo. It's not like I have never seen rabbits where I don't expect to see them, but yesterday the rabbit was practically at the entrance to the store. I happened to be near Dillards at Flat Irons Mall when I saw the grayish-brown rabbit jumping around. It had oval dark eyes and long ears and it did seem to keep its eye on me. I figured it must be accustomed  to people because as I neared it did not bother to hop away.  A few leaps and the rabbit could have entered the store!


If in fact there are lots of rabbits all over Arvada, I can understand why. My granddaughter was a "foster parent" for three or maybe four rabbits. She would watch the rabbits until they were "adopted." Rabbits may be cute with their wiggly nose and their cute hops and leaps but I noticed how they love humping each other or anything. It was almost an innate desire. With all the amorous behavior I could understand why there are so many rabbits! An article about rabbits states: "Rabbits hump to show dominance." Well, it could have fooled me!
Though I have always read that rabbits are social animals, it seemed that the rabbit I saw was a loner because I did not see any other rabbits at the mall.

That evening after seeing the rabbit and being told they are all over Arvada, I heard on the news that there is an outbreak of Rabbit Fever. (Tularemia) in the area. Humans can get ill if a tick, flea or mosquito bites the infected rabbit and then bites the human. Suddenly, those wiggly nosed, long-eared bunnies do not seem so appealing!
In a friend's large yard, I saw rabbits that will never get sick with anything! Now that's the kind of rabbit I like. If nothing else, I did get an idea for my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment