Friday, May 15, 2015

Lunch At The Bella Vista

It had been many years since I was in the Bella Vista restaurant in Denver, Colorado. The last time was
when I worked for the Legal Aid Society of Metropolitan Denver and after work a group went to the Bella Vista. I don't know what we were celebrating though I do remember loud music, a table full of empty glasses, and me dancing a Corrido with the chubby owner. Today I found out that the restaurant is under new management and my dancing partner is long gone!

I met a friend from my past and we remembered how the office used to be, the people we got along with and those we didn't, what changes had happened since I left, who had died and who still worked, who was retiring and who had retired and so on.

A moment of sadness when she told me she had lost her thirty-six year old daughter and how her grandson was having a hard time coping with the tragedy. She said, "It's been two years and I still have my moments. You never get over losing a child."  She told me how she had completed her schooling and got a paralegal degree. I have a deep admiration for people who continue their education!

We recalled when we went to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and how lucky we were to stay with a good friend of hers. Another paralegal by the name of Honey and I drove together and when we were looking at Indian jewelry, I yelled across the room, "Hey, Honey, come look at this piece!" It seemed as if everyone in the shop turned to look at me. I was pretty sure I knew what everybody was thinking. I made up my mind that I would call her Ms. Roberts and not Honey if I needed to get her attention!


Another friend from my past walked in to the Bella Vista. Talk about old home week as we hugged. She said those words I love to hear. "My goodness, you look great, you haven't changed at all." Now, either I looked like an old lady back then or maybe, just maybe, I hadn't changed. Maybe she could not see my wrinkles and that was fine with me! It was nice seeing two persons from my past. I did what I do best and pulled out my camera and had our pictures taken.

Time has a way of speeding as we live our lives, but the older I get the faster time seems to go.  Today was a pleasant day seeing two friends of long ago and catching up with new and old news.

No comments:

Post a Comment