Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Mother's Day

The year is 1952. A poem I have written is in Our Lady of Peace church bulletin. I do not use my name but sign it "anonymous." Today I wonder why. Was I too shy? Would it  embarrass me if people knew I liked to write poetry? Was I so humble I did not want credit for my poem? Other writings by me that went into the church bulletin were also under anonymous. I don't even know if my parents knew who wrote the poetry in the bulletin. To this day, I don't know why I was being so secretive. The following was written when I was in the 7th grade.




MOTHER'S DAY

Today is the day
we set aside,
all over the world
which is so wide.

Today we honor all our
good Mothers,
our own that we love
above all others.

Moms love us more
than we will ever know,
even when we hurt them
and cause them woe.

On Mother's Day
we make it up to them,
for they are every part
a jeweled gem.

E. Moscoso
Early 1950's

On Sunday another Mother's Day without my mother. After many years of leaving us, I still miss her and when we meet again, I will have many stories to tell her!

No comments:

Post a Comment