Thursday, January 28, 2016

A Walk Around A Lake

The day was perfect.  In February, 61 degrees F. is unusual. My thought was to walk around Berkeley Lake but after driving a few blocks I changed my mind. I drove to Lake Arbor instead. This was my first time at Lake Arbor and was in for a big and beautiful surprise. The geese population seemed to have settled at Lake Arbor and it appeared as if someone had placed them on the ice in an orderly manner. Rows and rows of geese with their white chests was a sight to see. Never had I
seen so many geese in one spot!

I enjoyed walking around the lake but ended up watching the geese, ducks and white gulls. A woman sprinkled what looked like bread crumbs, and the gulls swooped in. I read somewhere that gulls are scavengers and steal food at picnics or games. The geese did not move and they seemed to be stuck on the ice. The ducks enjoyed swimming in parts of the lake that wasn't frozen. The shadow of a metal bench was interesting. When I saw two persons at a picnic table I thought that when two people are in love they think they are the only ones on this earth!

There were runners, dog walkers, women with babies in strollers, people sitting on benches and people walking. There was an older person in a pink sweat shirt that I thought was poking along. She walked slowly. Yet, I never caught up with her, making me think I must have been poking along also! People were friendly and I stopped and chatted with some. I was told that to see the geese take off into the sky, is a sight to see. I asked what time they all fly away but no one could tell me exactly. One lady said she has seen them early in the morning. Another said at sunset. I may have to pack a lunch and go sit and wait for the phenomenon to take place! What a wonderful day for a walk around Lake Arbor.

"Me thinks that the
moment my legs begin to move,
my thoughts begin to flow."

Henry David Thoreau


1 comment:

  1. I was going to Sprouts that day and I saw the sky almost black with "V" formations of geese, I wonder if they were the same ones you saw sitting on the ice--there were hundreds and hundreds of them!

    ReplyDelete