I cannot believe it! I cannot believe that this year of 2016 will be 60 years that I graduated from high school! Today I received a letter from the reunion committee letting me know they are planning a reunion in September. Attending reunions is something I have never done, but this year I find a tiny tickle of curiosity. This year we are all in our seventies and I would imagine no longer trying to impress anyone.


The letter made me try to recall my high school years. What do I remember? Walking to school. Trying to get the tip of my hair to flip. Not being able to afford Jantzen outfits. Learning to type and and working hard to have my name on the board for being one of the fastest typist in class. Belonging to Pep Purrs; black skirt, bobby socks, saddle shoes and a white wool sweater with a
wildcat on the front. Marching in a synchronized way along with band
members and getting up at five in the morning to practice. I was in a play but I can't remember its name, yet I remember my dress was purple. I was in Glee Club where I seemed to end up singing in groups but never a solo! Going to
football and basketball games. Rushing home after games because my
parents did not want me out after ten. We took State in basketball the
year I graduated and Coach Jim Baggot went on to win five state titles. Writing articles for the Greeley Highlight newspaper, playing
intramural basketball and volleyball, taking Spanish lessons and
struggling because even though I could understand and speak the
language, grammar threw me for a loop. Home economics where I learned
to make peanut butter cookies and tried to learn to sew. I remember
hearing a dirty joke and not understanding it.
"Why does a honeymoon only last seven days? Because it makes a whole week!"
After graduation ceremonies were over many students went to Mario's where I ate my first pizza and did not like it. Strange that after three years of high school, there isn't too much I remember. I looked through my year book and out of the 220 students who graduated I remember about twenty-five students. Many of the names sound familiar but the faces I do not recall or if I remember faces the names escaped me. I enjoyed reading what some of the students wrote in my year book, especially those that wished me luck with my writing. The editor of the school newspaper wrote, "to my favorite reporter."
 |
| Mr Irons |
 |
| Mr. Kotesky |
Of all the teachers I must have had two that impressed me because they are the only ones I remember. Amazing how so many teachers have slipped from my memory.
I think it might be fun to attend my 60th high school graduation and see what more comes to my mind!
No comments:
Post a Comment