Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Empty Jar

What does an empty jar represent? Some jars are empty because the contents have been used to prepare something to eat and they don't mean a thing. Yet, I have a jar that is now almost empty, but it represents kindness, friendship, generosity and love. You are probably asking how could an almost empty jar mean so much and why does it mean so much?

On New Year's Eve day, as I drove into the parking lot of my church, there were four women sitting in a car. It was freezing cold but one lady got out and said, "I have something for you." I told her, "Don't get out, it is very cold out here, give me whatever you want to give me later." She responded with, "No I want to give it to you now so you can put it in your car." She went to her car and brought me a Christmas gift bag and all I could see was green tissue poking out. I thanked her and took the bag to my car. I left it in my car and continued on my way. It is always such a pleasant surprise to receive a gift.

Later, when I got home I looked in the gift bag. It was a Ball jar with jam inside. On the lid was written "Berry Jam." In the morning I opened the jar and put some of the deep reddish-purple jam on my toast. It
tasted wonderful. It was not sweet like jams I have purchased and it had a pleasant berry taste. I prepared another slice of toast just so I could have some more of the great tasting jam.

Even though I have some Smucker's in my refrigerator I pushed that jar to the back and continued eating the home made jam. Every time I ate it I thought about the woman who had given it to me. I thanked God for having such a thoughtful friend and then extended my prayer to include all my friends. I thought how kind this woman was to think of me and how generous to include me in sharing her jam.

I have put it on toast, tortillas, pancakes, waffles, English muffins and sometimes I just spoon it out for a spoon-full of sweetness. Peanut butter sandwiches have never tasted so good. I recalled a saying that my Mother used to say, "When something is given from the heart you will get a lot of pleasure from it." I agree, because she must have really given me the jar of jam with her whole heart because I enjoyed every bit of it. There is one more serving in the jar and once that is scraped and eaten, I will wash the jar and give thanks that I was able to enjoy the jam for sixteen days!

When I saw the lady who had given me the jam, I told her how much I had enjoyed it and how much better it tasted than store bought jams and she said, "Maybe it is the rhubarb I mix into it." Whatever it is, I know I enjoyed the jam and am saddened that it is all gone, yet the memory of a kind gesture will last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment