Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The Oval Table

My kitchen table has become the center of my world. I don't know when it happened but one day I looked at my kitchen table and it was covered with papers and books! One end holds paperwork for a trip I am planning to visit New Mexico. The opposite end holds a Bible, notebook, and catechism where I do my homework for a Bible Timeline Class I am taking. On the east middle section I have the gambling list of people wishing to travel to Blackhawk, Colorado to gamble. On the west side is information for my Small Church Community group that meets once a month. A tiny corner of the table I reserve for eating but I find myself standing by the sink for some of my meals.

When I retired I had no idea that my life would become so busy. Some say it is good to be busy. Sometimes I just want to throw up my hands and yell, "Enough!" My television is seldom on and the programs I enjoy  are Downton Abbey and Dr. Phil. It seems that a lot of my reading for the book club or for pleasure is done in the bathroom and sometimes,when I stand up, I can barely walk because my legs have fallen asleep.

But, back to my oval table.  I use all four chairs, depending on what activity I am working on. It's like playing musical chairs! Heaven forbid if ever I had company and had to prepare a meal. What would I do with all the paperwork?

I do manage to have lunch with family or friends, for Board meetings, Bible classes or book club meetings plus do some photography, but I always return to my oval table! As I see the work accumulating, I wonder if I will need to put in another leaf to make the table bigger. When I visit other people, who are as busy as I am, I do not see stacks of paper on their tables so where do they "hide" their work?  In the meantime, I am like the President of the United States because I also have an oval office, only mine is in my kitchen.

"Paperwork wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for all the paper. And the work."
Daryanda Jones

1 comment:

  1. I too have stacks of paper, not on the table but everywhere in my bedroom and down in the basement! It's kind of overwhelming, but it sounds like you are really pretty organized!

    ReplyDelete