Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Things Are Different Now

I don't know what made me think about these facts but as I was washing dishes in the sink I wondered why glasses don't break as often as they used to in the past. I remember buying drinking glasses quite often because they either broke or chipped. Maybe it was because there were more people in my household and they weren't as careful as I am now. I probably should be knocking on wood because for the past twenty some years, not a glass has been purchased.

And then, I recalled shoelaces that seemed to always be breaking. I have not purchased a shoe lace for a long time and I wonder if it's because I don't keep my shoes as long as I used to or if the quality of the shoe lace is better. Those days of trying to tie two sections together to get me through the day are gone! I don't
know why I used to think that tying the two sections of the broken lace would help because most of the time the knot would not allow the lace to go through the eyelet and I ended up with a teeny-tiny bow.

From my shoe laces I thought about bra straps and how they used to break, leaving me a bit lopsided. My bra straps no longer break and it makes me wonder if maybe I am not as active and therefore, without much movement the straps stay put until it's time to buy another bra. I remember carrying a safety pin with me in case a strap would break while playing tennis, horseback riding, dancing, or playing sports like volleyball, basketball, softball or soccer. Of course I do none of the above any more and that might be why the straps seem to be sewn in better!

A few days ago I was following an older model car and when it was slowing down, an arm came out of the driver side window and pointed down to the ground. Wow!  That arm dangling out the window made me remember when there were no turning lights for cars and our arms were how we let other drivers know what we intended to do. Straight out the window meant a left turn, an arm pointing up meant a right turn, and down if I wanted to stop or slow down. I could almost bet that kids now-a-days do not have a clue about those arm signals!

"Sometimes you've got to
accept the fact that
certain things will never 
go back to how they used to be."
Author Unknown


Maybe I don't want them to go back to how they were, yet I found it strange how different things are now, compared to how I remember them. Oh well, these thoughts did give me something for my blog today.

No comments:

Post a Comment