I don't remember much about a retreat I attended in 1955 at El Pomar Retreat Center in Colorado Springs. Junior High girls (now called Middle School) and a few high schoolers car pooled to the retreat center. To me it was a long trip away from home, but in reality it was about 75 miles. I remember polished black and white squares on the floor and walking around outside in a peaceful garden. Other than those two things I can't recall any thing else, other than one sentence that stuck with me. The retreat leader let us know that no one can be completely satisfied in life; we all feel as if something is missing. That empty spot would be filled when we joined God in heaven.
Through the years, when I would feel as if something was missing from my life, I would bring to mind that on earth I would always feel as if something was missing. This morning I was listening to Understanding The Bible by Nicholas Lebish and when he said, "There is a deep hole in our soul that only God can fill," I remembered what I had heard at the retreat so long ago.
In order to try and get closer to God and my religion, I am taking the Timeline Bible Class and even though I find what I am reading in the Bible difficult to understand, I know I understand much more than I have ever understood about the Bible. Slowly, but surely, I will continue to move toward filling the empty hole in my soul!
No comments:
Post a Comment