Saturday, January 23, 2016

Born When Warren Harding Was President

Today I found out the President Warren Harding was president from 1921 to 1923.  He died of a heart attack and Calvin Coolidge took his place as president of the United States. Now you are probably wondering why I am even writing about the 29th President of the United States.

The reason is that today at mass, the priest asked for anyone celebrating a birthday to come to the altar to receive a coupon for a candy. He mentioned that one of the persons celebrating a birthday had been around when Harding was president. Not knowing the past presidents I wondered if he was kidding and was teasing the lady who came down to get her coupon.  She was celebrating her 94th birthday and by looking at her, no one would ever guess her age. She is spry, active, full of fun, can dance up a storm, has a great sense of humor, attends daily mass and has more energy than younger women I know.

 This special lady has lived through fifteen presidents and I am impressed by her wit and actions. She went with me on a recent trip to the Stations of the Cross in San Luis, Colorado. I knew there were many persons who could not walk up the hill where the stations had been erected, and I told the persons on the trip that we would ride to the top. When I was told that the then ninety-three year old lady had walked down the hill, I was truly amazed!

She looked beautiful tonight in a deep lavender dress, a silver cross hung from her neck and her hair was neatly combed. When I commented on how nice she looked she said, "I am going out to celebrate my birthday!"

I wished her a happy birthday, gave her a hug and my secret thought was that if I made it to ninety-four that I could be just like her!

"May the good Lord 
shower you with
many blessings on
your special day."
Happy Birthday
sweet lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment