Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Book Club Meeting in Three Courses

A Book Club member invited us to meet at her home. The house was beautifully decorated and our first course was juice, tea or coffee in Christmas glasses or mugs. I could hear lots of chatter, people greeting each other, taking coats to a back bedroom and putting the pot luck surprises on the decorated table.



The second course was helping ourselves to the tasty dishes brought by the different members.  Two types of quiche, ham and cheese breakfast sandwiches, tamales, apple cake, cranberries rolled in sugar, cheese, crackers, fruit, casserole, nut bread, and cookies. The food looked appetizing on the large table decked with a red and white tablecloth.

After a lot of ooohing and aaahing about the delicious food, we began our discussion on the book, Aftertaste, A Novel In Five Courses by Meredith Mileti. It seemed that everyone had enjoyed the book and some of the characters were liked better than others. I liked what I read on the cover of the book about the best thing in life happens off the menu! So true.

As in many of our talks about books we have read, the conversation veers off to travel, different foods, cooking, cook books, and favorite foods. I found it interesting the travelers to different countries had encountered weird (and unappetizing sounding) food. Octopus, guinea pigs, birds, horses, dogs or cat dishes were mentioned by those who had traveled to countries where they eat such things. When someone asked if there was a special cook book that was liked, there were many responses. I did not have much to say since cooking is not at the top of my list of fun things to do. I thought about mentioning that at my shower before I got married, I was given a book by a lady named Smitty. She had written on the top of a page in the book, "With my best wishes and remember that the recipes in this book will keep your husband happy." I used that book until it fell apart. The pages were splattered, torn, and some pages were stuck together. A few years ago I tossed the tattered book into the trash because I now can Google a recipe if I feel like cooking. During the time I was married and my children were growing up, I prepared food from my Better Homes and Garden book that Smitty gave me. On the Internet I found a picture of a vintage book like mine!

Third course included dessert of fudge or cookies or getting up and having seconds. Many thanks go to our hostess, to the many good cooks and for a great discussion!

Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment