My Peruvian sister-in-law used to prepare a white fish with onion and lemon juice. Supposedly, as the juice marinated the fish, it cooked the fish. The dish is called Ceviche and Peruvians love to eat it on a corn tortilla. Maybe a bit of hot sauce sprinkled on the top. I never got used to eating the "raw" fish. This was before Sushi became so popular! I loved eating other dishes she would fix and yesterday some friends and I went to a Peruvian Restaurant to try some of the Peruvian dishes.

The restaurant is in the Highlands area of Denver and is called Cebiche. We were not disappointed as we tasted a lot of good food. It all began with one friend ordering the traditional Peruvian drink called a Pisco Sour. It is made with a brandy called Pisco, lime juice, sugar, water, egg whites and angostura bitters with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I thought it looked like a dessert! A Dos Equis beer was ordered by my other friend and I had water with lime.
We then looked at the menu and tried to decide which wonderful and different dishes we would have. For appetizers we ordered a papa rellena (mashed potato ball rolled in some kind of crust) on a bed of rice.
The Yuca Frita was strips of fried yuca and a yellow-spicy-tasty-cheese sauce for dipping the yuca. Both appetizers were excellent!

My entree was white fish in garlic butter with rice. The other two dishes were Aji de Gallina (shredded chicken in a rich creamy Parmesan walnut sauce also served with rice and a Linguini with vegetables and meat. The dishes were tasty and we enjoyed every bit of what was served on our plate!

Dessert was ordered with three spoons as we tasted

the arroz con leche (rice pudding) and another pudding with some fruit on top. Someone said it might have been blueberries.

The restaurant is painted red and white (colors of the Peruvian flag) and throughout the restaurant there are rug hangings and pictures from Peru. It was an enjoyable evening as we tasted and ate food different from our normal fare!
"I am a serious food lover
and Peruvian cuisine is one
of the best in the world."
Helena Christenson
No comments:
Post a Comment