
The day after I arrived in California to spend time with my family, I came down with a crappy illness. I was chilled, coughing, nose running, achy, and listless. This was probably not the best time to get sick, but I had a super family who took care of me while I ailed. The first three days were the worst and then I joined the land of the living to manage to do things with the family. Granted, it was just in spurts because I was not functioning at 100%. My little corner of the world included Vicks, Kleenex, and cough drops.


Christmas Eve a delicious meal was prepared of salmon, twice baked potatoes, and vegetables. For dessert we had chocolate chip cookies with vanilla ice-cream. After dinner we attended mass at St.Angela Merici Catholic Church. I could not sit with my family because of my persistent cough and ended up sitting by myself toward the back of the church. After returning home, we opened presents and enjoyed Christmas Eve with lots of laughter and commenting on our gifts. I even got up and danced! Luna, their dog, took the "bone" I gave her and buried it in the back yard!

Christmas Day everyone went to my son-in-law's family to celebrate while I stayed home with Luna. Even though I had been invited, I did not want to go and contaminate anyone with my flu symptoms. I spent most of the day napping, watching television and reading.

I did manage to go shopping with my granddaughters which is one of the fun activities I do with them, we saw a couple of movies, we ate out, we went to the Bower's Museum, listened to a harpist, visited friends and hung out around the house. One evening I walked around the neighborhood and thought how different to see Christmas decorations and palm trees! A few days it was hot enough to sit near the pool in the nice, hot sunshine. Eventually, I felt better and even though we had to change my return flight twice, I finally arrived home yesterday in a snow covered Colorado and -2 degree weather.
Flu or not, I enjoyed my stay in California, loved being with my family, meeting Luna, and visiting my son-in-law's parents. Of course, my bed felt wonderful and even though we have a record breaking cold spell of -19 degrees outside, I am happy to be home!
No comments:
Post a Comment