Saturday, December 13, 2014

La Morenita

Friday:  The title of my blog is what Our Lady of Guadalupe is sometimes called, La Morenita, which means brown or dark one. Today is her feast day and this morning I attended mass thinking there would be a big celebration for her but she was only mentioned a few times during mass.

Tomorrow, I do know that there will be a mass at 5 p.m.in her honor and after the mass there will be a fiesta in the Spirit Center. Mexican food, a pinata, and music are planned for tomorrow to celebrate her day.

Today, seven persons showed up to help decorate the hall for tomorrow. It was a fun time as we put different colored tablecloths on the tables, a large bandanna with Our Lady of Guadalupe's image, candles, and prayer cards on each table. It is so true that many hands make a job easier. Another group of volunteers would show up around 5 p.m. to finish decorating.

Saturday: The hall was decorated, we were assigned to our work stations, the pinatas were filled with candy, and after mass the festivities began. Children were given roses and they placed flowers in the vases in front of a large picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

The food was provided by La Fiesta Restaurant at 23rd and Champa Streets in Denver, Colorado. There were chicken or beef burritos, cheese, green or red chile, refried beans, Spanish rice, lettuce, tomatoes, and churros. The volunteers spooned out the food to the many hungry people. There were separate stations for soft drinks, water and beer.

When people finished eating, two large pinatas were lowered and raised for the children to attempt to break the Ninja Turtle or the burro. It was fun watching the dedication of the children as they aimed the stick and suddenly the pinata was raised above their head. When the pinata was broken, children scrambled on the floor getting the different kinds of candy raining from the pinata. I enjoyed watching the man pulling the rope and trying to keep the pinata away from the batters!

I asked Father Bluejacket if he was going to try hitting the pinatas and he said, "No, not me!" I told him I thought it was a wonderful fiesta and he agreed.




The music began and people began marching around the floor in pairs. The couples then separated, each line going around each side until they joined up again. As they met, they made an arch with their arms and the next couple marched under the arch and they also joined hands. This continued until everyone had gone through the arch of arms!

It was a lovely celebration in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe and everyone seemed to have a great time. As I was leaving I saw the picture of Our Lady of Guadalupe through the window at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community Church and I whispered,


 "Buenas Noches, Virgencita de Tepeyac."

No comments:

Post a Comment