Monday, December 1, 2014

Transformation Of My Neighborhood

Before Thanksgiving, when our days were warm, my neighbors were putting up their
Christmas decorations. The plain yards would become winter and colorful wonderlands. I saw one neighbor on his roof changing bulbs that had burned out. Both husband and wife diligently decorate the yard. Another neighbor used a long pole to put flickering lights on his large tree. The third neighbor put a snowman and an angel side by side which I thought was a bit strange, though the figures do twinkle brightly.

Every year the neighborhood becomes festive and beautiful. At night it is comforting to hear Christmas music and somehow if one tunes the car radio to 104.7 FM the music can be heard in the car. My bedroom has a soft glow from all the outdoor lights. Sometimes I have problems getting into my driveway because of the stream of cars slowly moving along the street. It seems as if everyone enjoys looking at the Christmas lights.

I am not a fan of the inflatable decorations yet a seven foot Santa sits in another neighbor's yard which adds to the joy of Christmas. During the day it flops to the ground in a mass of synthetic material but at night Santa stands up tall and waves at people driving along the street!




"Christmas waves a magic wand
over the world, and behold
everything is softer 
and more beautiful."
Norman Vincent Peale

No comments:

Post a Comment