Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Dad

Today is my father's birthday. I woke up thinking about him and the ups and downs of our relationship. My mother always said that he and I did not get along because we were so much alike. Maybe it is true though I never saw it that way. I do know that who I am today has a lot to do with what he taught me, knowingly or unknowingly.

He gave me my first camera. He took me to the library. He loved reading and so do I. He took me to museums. He took us on rides at Elitch's/Lakeside. I did the same with my children.  He taught me to be honest. He taught me to be independent. He had a sense of humor that I may have inherited. He talked about his travels by riding the rails and maybe that is why I love to travel. He loved his grandchildren and I love mine. He enjoyed dancing (after Mom died) and I enjoy a spin around the floor also. He went to church and prayed to God and to the saints. Me too! 

Where we differ is that when he was full, he was able to stop eating. He believed in exercise and swam and walked almost daily. I don't.  He was a handy man where I am not. He could make or fix anything. I can't. He never showed his love or emotions. I believe I show my emotions. He was critical of so many things and said it out loud. I am critical but keep it all in my head! He had a green thumb and had wonderful green gardens and lawn. Plants die, grass gets weedy, and I know I am not like Dad in that respect. He liked his Tequila. I don't drink alcohol.

                            He loved the mountains. He loved to tease my mother by calling her Cleta.(an inside joke.)  He was devoted to his mother and sister. He was a disciplinarian. And...I could go on and on about my father. Today he celebrates 111 years and 96 of those years he was with us.

The day we buried him, after everyone had left the cemetery, a few of us hung around the grave and as we finished praying the Our Father, loud bells began to ring. We knew he was in heaven causing havoc with the angels!  Happy Birthday, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment