Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Luna's Smart Eyes

Brown eyes stare at me. Can those eyes penetrate my thoughts? It sure looks as if the eyes are trying to let me know something.  But, what, I wonder. The eyes belong to Luna, a black and white border collie mix. She is a solid pet that will come when called if she is in the mood. Otherwise, she just looks at me with those smart eyes and does exactly as she pleases.

I do not have a dog but I have been around dogs and what I am finding out is that each dog has its own traits and personalities.  I suppose some habits are bred instincts while other habits are picked up along the way.

Luna was chosen to be in my daughter's family and the one thing I am noticing about the doggie is that she does not play favorites. The last two dogs have been a one person pet. Or they tended to favor one person. Luna does not seem to have a favorite; loves everyone equally!

The first time I saw Luna, I liked her. A mellow, sweet dog. "Look what she can do," I was told. "Shake." She lifts her paw and places it in your hand. "Sit." Down on her haunches she sits and watches your face to see what the next command will be. "Roll over." Down and over and then sits up waiting for her treat. Like any other training, be it beast or baby,  rewards help a lot!

She gets a guilty look when she does something she knows she is not supposed to do. She loves to go on walks and when she returns from her walk, she loves to go outside and play. She tosses toys up in the air, leaps up, runs around the yard and enjoys her time before coming indoors. When I heard that a border collie had joined the family I read about how they are working dogs. Very smart and active. No one knows the other dog mix so it will be interesting to see how this new dog will be doing a few months from now. I found myself talking to Luna and she looks at me as if she understands what I am saying. She cocks her head and one ear goes up when she listens. During my stay, I petted her wavy black and white back and head.  I wondered if by petting her, as I have read, brought down my blood pressure!

I know I fell in love with Luna and she seems to love everyone! I told her that if she had a sister, I would bring her home with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment