Sunday, December 7, 2014

Getting Into the Holiday Spirit

The Christmas Sing and Ring by the Arvada Chorale prepared the audience for a festive Christmas holiday! Over fifty voices entertained us with Christmas classics plus other songs not as well known. In the program I read: "Nearly 40 years ago, the Arvada Center created a community chorus made up of amateur singers called the Arvada Chorale. Since that time, the Chorale has had the vision of bringing joy and enrichment through beautiful choral music."  It is inspiring to hear the many voices blended together with sopranos, altos, tenors and basses. Along with the voices the Rocky Mountain Ringers also entertained by their intricate moving of the different size bells ranging from small to large! There are about fifteen bell ringers and their waving of the bells make beautiful, delightful tinkling music!

I had never attended a performance of the Chorale even though I have lived in Arvada for over forty years and even, at one time, knew a lady who sang with the Chorale. I decided to go to this concert because a member of our book club sings with the Chorale and he invited the book club members. I realize now that this is a great way to begin the holiday season, enjoy fabulous music, buy home baked goodies that are sold before and after the concert, and celebrate with friends.

One selection performed was The Night Before Christmas and on two large flat-screen televisions we were shown the pictures that fourth graders had drawn to go along with the story. A very clever way to see the old favorite depicted by cute drawings! At the end of the program, the Director, Steven Burchard, waved his little stick (as he called it) so that the audience could join the chorale in singing Silent Night.

We cornered the one singer we knew and had our picture taken with him.

The festive afternoon ended with eight of the Young at Heart members going to the Texas Roadhouse for a fun dinner. I, who had already been to the Outback for lunch, taking pity on my poor stomach, ordered a salad!



Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment