Masterpiece Theater on PBS has interesting stories all year long. I have gotten hooked on Downton Abbey, Doc Martin, The Paradise, Mr. Selfridge, and detective stories on Mystery Masterpiece. I enjoy watching old films whenever Channel 6 or 12 shows them.
Tonight, after what seemed like a long wait, I enjoyed watching Downton Abbey and my curiosity is at a peak trying to figure out what will happen to all the characters. I do not like the sleaze ball, Thomas Barrows, who just when I think his evilness has been found out, he does something heroic that keeps him in the good graces of the Crawley family.
I have formed opinions on the characters in the story and some I like better than others. Mrs. Hughes is one of my favorites by her sensible way of being, her humorous ways and her kindness. I love how she keeps Mr. Carson, the traditional butler, in line!
Lady Violet, played by Maggie Smith, plays her part as the dowager very well and her comments and facial expressions are priceless. I am glad that the trouble maker Sarah O'Brien is gone. I feel sorry for Molesley who seems to be at odds with life. A favorite character is John Bates with his love for Anna and his deep, dark secrets!
Daisy seems so helpless and I hope she ends up with William Mason who is now a chef in London. Mrs. Patmore, the overworked cook comes across with some good lines. Lady Edith is probably the most unfortunate in her love affairs and I feel sorry for her. She seems to suffer a lot! Isobel is a more modern thinker and I am hoping she and the doctor end up together.
Lady Mary frustrates me because it takes her forever to make up her mind! Rose is a young, impetuous young, spoiled socialite who causes embarrassment to the Crawleys. The young school teacher who may be more modern than the Crawleys, I found to be very pushy and rude and find myself not liking her. Hope she does not end up with Tom Branson, because I like him.
The Americans who poke fun at the British life style are always fun to see. Last night, Shirley MacLaine was joined by Paul Giamatti for an interesting exchange of ideas. The rest of the characters are necessary for the story and now I will wait to see how Downton Abbey will turn out. I enjoy the period dress for both men and women, the different lifestyle for the elite and the help, and all the underhanded maneuvering that goes on at Downton Abbey!
Every Sunday I will be glued to the television to see the continuation of one of my favorite stories on PBS.
No comments:
Post a Comment