Wednesday, January 21, 2015

What I Saw and Heard Last Night

I do not get involved in politics. I do not care to hear the bickering between the congress, the house and the president. I do not believe half of what I hear regarding politics. It upsets me to see a President put down, whether he be an elephant or a donkey. It seems that politics has gone from differences of opinions to downright mean and ugly insults. Last night, January 20, 2015, I listened to President Obama's State of the Union and these are my observations of what I saw while he spoke.

2008
  •  Hypocrites clapping as if they really love the President.
  •  A man at eye level looked as if he had hair, but a camera angle taken from above showed a bald head with a few strands of hair swiped across the baldness. I felt bad for the man.
  • As the President walked in there was a lot of shaking hands with men, cheek kissing with women and one black lady was skipped over, though she appeared ready for her greeting. I felt bad for the woman.
  •  The President's hair is fast turning white.
  •  Boehner, Speaker of the House of Representatives, seemed a reddish-dark color in contrast to Biden who seemed a pinkish-white and the President's tan coloring.
  •  Nice to hear that over 10 million now have health coverage. 
  •  Strong applause when hard working people will add to the growing opportunity for every American.
  •  It was interesting to know that during WWII there was national child care so that women could help the war effort but now that both parents need to work there is nothing.
  •  The President wants quality child care, paid sick leave for seven days for the 43 million Americans, and women should be paid the same as a man for doing the same work.
  •  He asked if anyone could support a family for $15,000 a year? He would like to raise minimum wage and maybe the politicians against raising minimum wage should try living on the amount now paid. I thought that was a good point!
  •  We need educated youth and he would like to upgrade skills by lowering community colleges to a zero fee.
  •  It won't be long before three years of college will equal the same as high school.
  •  Veterans must have quality care and help to get jobs. It was nice that he thanked Michelle Obama and Jill Biden for their help in this area.
  •  Jobs should be here in America and not sent over seas.
  •  I found that he is still a great speaker. Knows what to say and how to say it. He also has a sense of humor that comes out when he smiles.
  •  Some clapped with heart. Others barely slapped hands together. Some stood up. Some sat. Some looked bored. Some looked sleepy.  Some seemed to be 100% behind what he was saying. Some smiled. Some looked angry. Some looked as if they agreed.
  •  When hunting down terrorists was mentioned, Boehner jumped up to applaud. Gave me the feeling that if he was able he'd have us in a war.
  •  Lifting the embargo from Cuba brought clapping especially an elderly man named Alan Gross. I had no idea who he was until I looked on the Internet. He was a prisoner in Cuba from 2009 until his release in December 17, 2014. Now I understand his repeated thank you and vigorous clapping.
  • I liked when the President said,  "Protect the one planet  we've got," on climate change.
  •  Military did not seem to like what he said about "Gitmo." None stood or clapped.
  •  He mentioned that those that serve in government should set a better example. A lot of good people on both sides of the aisle could get a lot done. "Imagine if we broke out of our old patterns and debated for the good of the country and not for those, I gotcha moments."
  •  Right to vote is sacred.
  •  Crime rate and incarceration is coming down together. Yet, it seems, to me, there is more crime than ever.
  •  He will continue to do what he believes is good for America. He will seek Republican ideas to make the country stronger.  The United States is not a collection of blue and red states. How great it would be to begin a new chapter together. Ended his talk with,  God Bless You.
  •  On his way out he did give a cheek kiss to the lady he skipped on his way in! Made me feel better.
  •  I noticed his remark seemed a bit angry when he said, "I won the last two elections," but I did not know why. I thought maybe there were hecklers, but in the news this morning I heard it was for those that clapped when he mentioned he had two more years.
  •  I also read this morning that Michelle's suit, a copy of a suit worn by the character in The Good Wife had cost close to $1000. That made me sad, wish she had been more conservative, like when she wore J Crew outfits.

I liked what President Obama said, but after hearing the rebuttals from the opposing side, I doubt that anything will get done. The argument that people must not be happy with how the President is doing because the Congress is now 100% Republican, to me, does not mean anything. Some people are racist and will vote for a white person over a black. I hope that the next two years continue to improve and that President Obama will go out with flying colors.

1 comment: