
If it is shaped like a pea in a pod and looks like a pea pod, it must be a pea. Wrong. While eating at a Japanese restaurant,Kikoros, in Arvada, we were served an appetizer that looked like pea pods. "How do you eat these," I asked. The waitress said, "Just squeeze the bean out." I did, and found two or three delicious, semi-hard, green, pea like beans inside the pod. I liked the Edamame which turned out to be green soy beans. The outside of the pod had salt sprinkled on its skin and when the bean popped out, the tasty nutritional bean mixed with the salt turned into a delicious treat!

This is a legume that can be used by vegetarians and vegans in salads, appetizers or snacks. I found out that more and more restaurants are using Edamame. Some stores, like Trader Joe's sells the Edamame already shelled. The pods are boiled or steamed and sprinkled with salt and can be eaten hot or cold. It is a healthy snack with fiber, protein, vitamins C and A, and calcium.
At last, something I like that is healthy and good for me!
It's a source of soy--too much soy can be bad for some women
ReplyDeleteWhat is considered too much soy? I love those little beans but I don't want to eat to many!
ReplyDelete