Monday, January 26, 2015

Rotten Apples

Here it is, in the middle of winter, and we are at 71 degrees F. I remember hearing, as I was growing up, that the stock show was always in Denver during the coldest days of the year. The stock show ended yesterday and today it is nice and warm. I decided to go for a walk around my neighborhood while the weather is absolutely perfect. Who knows what tomorrow will bring! While it is wonderful here, the forecasters are saying that the east coast will get a blizzard with over three feet of snow. Go figure.

While walking I could smell a sweet, sort of rotten smell, and when I looked around the ground was covered with over-ripe apples. They looked a reddish-purple and mushy. I looked up at the tree and one apple was clinging to a branch. It almost looked like a tomato! It defied the rule of gravity and would not fall down to the ground. A good thing Newton was not sitting under this particular tree or we may never have learned about gravity!

My walk made me feel happy and I realize that I do prefer warm weather to cold weather!

"On my walk I found
rotten apples on the ground.
Once, they had been strong
but now, they were gone.
We too, are like the lone one
clinging to life under the sun!"
E. Moscoso
January 26, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment