Alfredo Rolando Ortiz, South American Harp, shares with you the richness and meaning of the music of Hanukkah, Las Posadas, Christmas, Kwanzaa and the New Year in a festive, engaging multicultural concert for the entire family. On an advertisement sheet for the concert we would be seeing on December 28, 2014.
The concert featured Alfredo Rolando Ortiz, Harpist, and
I was surprised to find out that I really do enjoy harp music. Up until I heard Ortiz, I always pictured a large harp being played by a slender lady sitting in a flowing gown and playing in a symphony. Or I may have connected it with death, heaven or angels!
The intimate concert I attended in California was on a Paraguayan harp and I learned that the Paraguayan harp is the national instrument of Paraguay. The harp is smaller than others I have seen and I was swayed from knowing nothing about harp music to loving the sharp, clear music as the strings are plucked or strummed. At times I thought it sounded like a piano, then possible a guitar and then the entrancing music of the precise notes of the harp.
On entering the auditorium, we were handed an information sheet about the artist. Born in Cuba, moved to Venezuela, supported himself with his music while attending medical school in Colombia, is married, performs professionally, moved to the United States, became an American Citizen and lives in Corona, California. I also learned that he is, "Internationally acclaimed by the critics, a composer, lecturer, author and recording artist."
My daughter purchased a CD, Forever Favorites, by Ortiz for me. The CD includes, among other tunes, Spanish Eyes, Cuando Calienta el Sol, Solamente Una Vez, Guantanamera, and O Solo Mio. I love listening to the relaxing music and hope I do not wear it out from constantly playing the CD over and over again!
"Glorious is the Voice of Man
and sweet is the music of the harp.
Richard Llewellyn
No comments:
Post a Comment