Saturday, January 3, 2015

Fancy Caskets and Scary Masks


Wandering through the Bowers
Museum we saw these caskets which I thought were very fancy. These were made for royalty of the era. Not sure if these were for Chinese, Japanese or some other
group. Which goes to show that all the explanations about the display should be read! And if read, remembered.





Entering the Spirits and Headhunters: Art of the Pacific Islands made me realize that I certainly would not like to be in these mysterious and dangerous looking islands depicted by Photographer Chris Rainier.


In this area I saw large masks, sea shell necklaces, teeth, feather, and weapon artifacts. An interesting display of how head hunters lived in the past and what they used for decorations. The human teeth necklace made me wonder if the teeth were removed before or after death!

 Though this area was fascinating to see, I found it to be on the violent side
and not my favorite type of museum art!







My daughter and I had to chuckle with the form on the left....she told me the explanation was: "I Gotta Go Right Now!"

On my visits to California, I enjoy going to the Bowers Museum because it is not so large to be overwhelming and the displays are presented in an interesting way. I also like that they allow photographs to be taken in certain areas!

No comments:

Post a Comment