Friday, May 29, 2015

A Friend's Mother


At the Young At Heart dinners and lunches at Spirit of Christ Catholic Community, I would see my friend with her beautiful elderly mother. I would think how lucky to have a mother to enjoy spending time with her. My mother died when she was fifty-nine years old and I still miss her. My friend lost her mother a few days ago and her mother was 96 years old. She was able to spend so many more years with her mother. I do know that no matter how long we have a parent, an empty space is left when they go away.

We learned that her husband who preceded her in death loved the color yellow. The priest told a story about
how God lets us know he is thinking about us. Evidently, while in hospice care, soft music was put on the television. As the music played a bouquet of yellow flowers came up on the screen.  "What a wonderful way to go," the priest said, "her husband's favorite color on the screen and surrounded by soft music." Makes one wonder if her husband was letting his wife know that he was waiting for her. I liked when the priest said, "life changes but does not end." It's kind of neat to know that we will continue on to better things!

Sister and brother told us stories about their mother and I got to know more about the lady. A few things made me wish I had known her better. I bet she had many stories to tell about her travels and cruises. The pride in always having her hair done, jewelry, matching outfits, and makeup I found interesting. "Even in assisted living when she came out of her room to eat, the nurses would comment, "It looks as if you are going out to a party!" She was helpful and with her sewing skills she would hem clothes for some of the people in assisted living.

She is now gone to a better life and is together with her husband Bernie. Now that is a beautiful picture!



Two funerals in one week made me think about how fragile life can be and it made me remember something my father told me a long time ago when we were discussing whether we believed in heaven and hell. "You know," he said, "I don't know if there is life after death, but I will live my life as God wants me to because in the end if there is a heaven that is where I want to go. If there is no heaven, I still lived a good and honorable life on earth."

1 comment: