Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Moose, A Buffalo And A Chicken

Hanging from the wall was a moose and a buffalo, while sitting on different counters were chickens. As my granddaughter and I walked into the White Fence Farm Restaurant, I remarked that it looked different. It seemed more open and not as jam packed with stuff. The candy and pie area had been moved closer to the front desk and had the look of a '50's ice cream parlor called Granny's. The chickens and roosters had been moved into a smaller room and when a button is pushed, the same corny jokes entertain visitors.

I suppose one could say we were celebrating my granddaughter's school year ending and since she gave me a neat card, my birthday. I mentioned to the waitress how things looked different. "Oh yes," she said, "new owners have taken over the restaurant but nothing is changing. Everything remains the same other than a few changes in the areas that were too crowded."  She also said, "Oh, and we have new uniforms." I found out that the new owners took over in November of last year. She mentioned that there was a lot of wasted space that has now been filled by moving things around and giving the gift areas an uncluttered look.

There was a positive change in the hours for Saturday. It used to be Saturday's dinner would begin around 4:30 p.m. Now, on Saturday and Sunday the restaurant is open at 11:30 a.m.  The restaurant is closed on Mondays; Tuesday through Friday the hours are 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. I could not see any difference in the food when we were served the corn fritters, bean salad, pickled beets with onion, and cottage cheese. The chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy were like I remembered them so the new ownership seems to be working out!

We ate a delicious, expensive piece of fudge as we looked around at the different areas. She took my picture with Thomas Jefferson!

Upstairs looked the same. Children were sliding down a "pig chute," and playing in a red barn. We sat in the living room area and talked about school, her cousins, Estes Park, took selfies and it felt as if we were in a private room with the large couches and overstuffed chairs! We sat on metal tractor seat stools and waited for the music to begin. The country and western band began to play and I could tell it was not her kind of music.  After listening to part of a slow two-step we left.


Spending time with my granddaughter is special. How fast the time flies because she is no long a little girl but a teen-ager. She helps me understand my smart phone by showing me how to get the new emojies. I asked her how I would turn photos around and once she explained what I should do it was easy. Without her explanation I can struggle for hours and not figure things out!

A wonderful Sunday on a sunny day,
 sky blue; not gray,
every thing okay!
Good food,
great mood,
with love so vast. 
I wish
 moments like these forever would last,

Granddaughter fun
lights up my day like a bright sun,
 then like a marathon run,
Sunday is gone,
leaving a feeling of satisfaction.
E. Moscoso
May 31, 2015

1 comment: