The walls were ten feet tall for protection of raiding Indians but when the WPA around the late 1930's rebuilt the fort, the walls were shortened to six feet tall. The thickness of the walls is two feet. The museum has artifacts from the past with information on what was happening during those early years. A variety of traps and knives, rifles, guns, plus equipment necessary for mountain men to hunt are displayed in the museum. Beaver and bison fur were purchased and traded and the mountain men would load up their mules and travel to Indian camps to do business.

The attendant mentioned that Ft. Lupton also had a Fort and that surprised me because as many times as I have driven on Highway 85, I have never seen or heard of a fort in Ft. Lupton. After partaking of the free cake and getting directions to the Ft. Lupton fort, I went in search of the well kept secret! This fort is a replica of the original because once the fort fell out of use, the adobe walls crumbled to the ground and nothing was left. The fort had to be built from the ground up.
It seems that there were four forts within forty miles of each other: Ft. Morgan toward the east, Ft. Vasquez, Ft. Lupton and Ft. St. Vrain are fairly close near the South Platte River. Something I found out was that not all forts were built to protect from danger, but were built as trading posts where Indians, settlers and mountain men could trade, sell and buy items needed. Ft. Lupton has a log cabin, a one room school house and an Indian tipi for tourists to enjoy.

Sometimes, something interesting is right in front of my eyes, but I fail to see it. I now know a bit more of Colorado history and I am glad I stopped to visit two of the forts on my way home from Greeley!


wow amazing! ok so my mom and I are writing a Colorado history book for school aged kids, and we were wondering if you would let us use your pictures you took from this? we could go take them ourselves but you did such a good job!!
ReplyDelete