Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Red Journal

For over a year I have looked for my journal of when I was in Europe. I found the slides but the journal was no where to be found. I was so sure that I had written about my travels in a speckled Composition note
book. I have around fifty Composition books and I went through every one, twice, but none had my information about my travels to Germany and other parts of Europe. As I went through some of my books  to see what I would put into the garage sale, I found a small red book with RECORD on the front. I opened it, thinking it might have some financial information, and there was the long, lost travel journal of my European trip.Reading through my journey I could not believe how many little things I had forgotten. Here are three poems I found at the end of my journal.

Never Alone
The two of us, traveling together.
In the morning it greets me as I walk by,
If I cry, it too will cry! 
I see my reflection
brushing my teeth or combing my hair.
It mimics my every expression,
and does what I do.
Its clothes are just like mine,
and it looks exactly like me.
It shows its face when there
is a mirror or glass.
It never tries to go ahead or pass.
Where ever I go, it is with me.
Always with me for me to see.
On the train it sits across from me
On a bus, right next to me.
A pure likeness
exactly like me.
A question makes me wonder
about where does it go when it's not with me?
If we go through a dark tunnel
is it still with me?
Where does it go when I'm not there?
My reflection is my other half
even though it's not flesh and bone,
 when I travel, I am not alone.



Handicapped 

Unseeing eyes behind dark glasses,
clicking a white cane as he walked.

The woman had never heard
a sound, living in a world of silence.

The boy had no legs and rolled
in a chair with wheels.

And I was mute,
unable to speak.
Hearing and not understanding,
seeing and unable to explain,
walking and not knowing where,
because I was a stranger in a foreign land.


The Train

Waiting with anticipation and excitement.
Waiting for the rumbling iron monster to swallow me in its swaying stomach.
A colored caterpillar of cars rolling with definite rhythm.
Ta-ta-tum. Ta-ta-tum. Ta-ta-tum.
Woe be me if I am late,
the roaring mover does not wait.
A screeching scream brings it to a halt
as it expels a loud, raspy breath.
Doors slide open,
people crawl in or out,
each knowing their special route.
 At a designated spot, 
the beast will stop
expelling a loud sigh.
It spits out the weary passengers
to continue its savage assault on the tracks
disappearing into the distance, a tiny dot. 


3 poems by:
E. Moscoso
May 29, 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment